Refresh you home by painting your front door a fun color. Not sure what hue to choose? These tried-and-true colors are sure to flatter any facade
Category: Home Improvement
Paint over ceramic tile walls, floors, shower stalls or countertops when the tile color becomes dated, worn or scratched. Removing old tile that is no longer appealing does not necessarily require ripping it and replacing it. The process is fairly easy, although time consuming, but the results are beautiful.
- Trisodium phosphate
- Fine grade sandpaper
- Extra fine grade sandpaper
- Low tack masking tape
- Low nap rollers
- High quality paint brush
- Epoxy primer
- Epoxy paint
Prepare the Tile
- Repair any loose, broken, chipped or cracked grout before painting.
- Wash the tile to remove all traces of cleansers or wax. Use trisodium phosphate to thoroughly clean the surface. Rinse very well with plain water after cleaning.
- Use a fine grade sandpaper to rough up the tile surface, creating a good bonding surface for the primer and paint.
- Vacuum up all dust and rinse the walls to wash dust particles away.
Preparing the Room for Paint
- Apply low tack painters’ masking tape to ceilings, mirrors, cabinets, walls or floors to protect from drips, spills and pain accidents.
- Place drop cloths on the floors.
Priming Ceramic Tile
- Use a high quality epoxy primer. Newer formulations of epoxy primers no longer require acid etching making the project much easier.
- Apply the epoxy primer with a very low nap paint roller. Do not use a paint brush because brush strokes are highly visible.
- Allow the primer to dry completely.
- Light sand the walls with an extra fine sandpaper.
- Apply a second coat of primer.
Painting Ceramic Tile
- Apply epoxy paint to the ceramic tile with a snort nap, lint free roller. Use a high quality paint brush to cut in corners and ceilings.
- Epoxy can be painted over the grout and then repaint grout lines or leave them all one color. The other options is to carefully paint around grout line which makes the job much more difficult and will require a very steady hand.
- Apply 2 to 3 coats of epoxy paint, allowing each coat to dry completely in between each coat.
Although not required because epoxy paint dries to a super hard finish, it is a good idea to seal painted ceramic tile floors with a urethane sealer. Apply 3 to 4 coats of sealer, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly before painting on the next.
Changing an ugly countertop, a worn floor or a tiled pink blue and orange bathroom is as easy as applying several coats of paint. The project is somewhat time consuming especially waiting for coats of paint to dry, but will be accomplished successfully by a do it yourself type homeowner.
If you have ever battled with clogged gutters, you can understand the negative impact associated with dirty and clogged gutters. First, clogged gutters tend to overflow, resulting in damaged foundations and leaky basements. This does not only expose your foundations to cracking and possible house fall, but also propagates mold and erosion of your esteemed landscape.
Accumulation of tree debris is among the primary causes of clogged gutters. Sticks that fall form nearby trees and over grown shrubs can fall and rot in the gutters, making the gutters dirty and clogged. Besides, leaves can accumulate in the gutters, leaving undesired effects on your gutter and eventually pile up and disrupt the smooth flow of rain water of the roof and through the gutter. To avoid this blockage, it is advisable to carry out regular maintenance on the gutter by removal of the leaves and sticks that may have fallen into the gutter and to permanently get rid of the problem it is best to trim off branches that are hanging over the roof and gutters.
The main culprits
According to experts, there are a number of things to looks out for when it comes to tree debris but flowers and pine needles play the biggest role. There are trees with flowers that fall off on a regular if not daily basis. This will eventually lead to an accumulation of rotting flowers on the gutter and subsequently blockage in the gutter system. Pine needles are even worse as they shed of a lot more than the flowers. With time water will stagnate and the gutter may even buckle from the weight.
Hiring professionals to work on your gutter is the best option for your gutter. In some cases, you can choose to work on the cleaning process by yourself but it can be a risky affair since you have to use a ladder and walk on the roof. In case of repair it is advisable to also visit the store you bought the gutter from to get the best information on the repair and replacement process and it would be advisable to also seek for professional help for the work ahead.
Note that a professional gutter cleaning service provider has the required expertise to ensure that your gutters are thoroughly cleaned while ensuring that nothing is damaged.